Monday, February 14, 2011

A love/ hate relationship with a book series.

Very rarely do I have a love/hate relationship with a book. Sure, I was a bit bitter about the end of the Dark Tower. But, Mr. King gave all of us fair warning. Cell, I will never forgive him for (terrible. just terrible). But I have come to a kind of peace with the room at the top of the Dark Tower.
 
I started reading the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny when I was 11.  I was instantly in love. The nine princes. Magical Tarot Cards. This world is merely a shadow of the true worlds-- Amber and the Courts of Chaos.



If you haven't read these books, here's the one sentence wrap up of the first book...


Awakening in an Earth hospital unable to remember who he is or where he came from, Corwin is amazed to learn that he is one of the sons of Oberon, King of Amber, and is the rightful successor to the crown in a parallel world.


Over the years I devoured each book, one after another. There are 10, so it was no easy task. I got an A in English in 8th grade because I walked in with Sign of the Unicorn and blew my teacher completely away.


I loved these books. Being young-- I don't think I realized how it ended.

Or, more precisely, didn't end. The author...how dare he...went and died. Leaving our hero standing on the precipice of the next great turning.

There were other books written by John Betancourt, but they were about the older generation.

So there it is-- a review and a warning. These books are great. I mean REALLY great. But they are like a teenage romance-- you should go in knowing you are going to get your heart broken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never read those books, but I'm intrigued. What year was the first one published?

Unknown said...

The original book- The Nine Princes of Amber was published in 1970. The last of the Zelazny books was published in 1991 ( which was how I got started, my Dad bought the last book) :)